Introduction

Hi All,

You've found the blog of Leighly G Penrod (better known as Lee Penrod). Over the years I've helped thousands of people with technology questions. I started this blog to share some of the problems I've personally solved, and to act as a place to put bits of new articles before they are ready for release.

In the past I wrote serveral things published by Directron.com. I worked for them for several years including doing various bits of technical writing. Although I no longer work for them, I do still put up some content on my blog now and then.

If you are not familiar with my prior work, feel free to see these popular guides I have written-

How to Install Front USB 3.0 Connections

How to Install Front USB
(connecting front ports to the motherboard)

Understanding System Memory and CPU speeds:
A layman's guide to the Front Side Bus (FSB)

Hooking up a Neon Light
[Old Article on making a card neon from Walmart work in a PC]

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Interesting Product for Home Media Sharing

While I was working today I stumbled on a pretty great media sharing box, the GMG 3583NAS-NL. What's so great about it?
  1. It's an enclosure with gigabit networking & wireless networking + it can do USB 2.0. That means it's very flexible and you don't even have to have it near your router / cable box. [Although you can and get a bit of a performance boost].
  2. The unit is fairly smart and apparently does some form of linux natively [didn't dig too deep]. As such, it can do alot of things you wouldn't expect out of a network attached storage box like: Torrent files, share printers [ CUPS? ], run a DHCP server or a time server.
  3. It's a RAID enclosure. Although it's limited to a max drive size of 1 TB, for most people that's more than enough to store all their music and such. Since it's a RAID enclosure you have 3 options:
    • RAID 1: Your files are written to both drives ever time you write a file, so you are safe if one goes bad.
    • Raid 0:Basically your files are split in half, 1 to drive 1, 1 to drive 2-- but they write and read at the same time-- so it's faster. One drive dead, you lose everything. [But you also get one big 2TB area].
    • Non-Raid: You could simply leave it alone and have two drives independantly in the enclosure.
    The box is pretty cheap too at $89.99 and there's a coupon on DirectronDeals that can take a bit more off.  I think it's a good value and worth checking out even if it's limited to 1TB drives.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment