Introduction

Hi All,

You've found the blog of Leighly G Penrod (better known as Lee Penrod). Over the years I've helped thousands of people with technology questions. I started this blog to share some of the problems I've personally solved, and to act as a place to put bits of new articles before they are ready for release.

In the past I wrote serveral things published by Directron.com. I worked for them for several years including doing various bits of technical writing. Although I no longer work for them, I do still put up some content on my blog now and then.

If you are not familiar with my prior work, feel free to see these popular guides I have written-

How to Install Front USB 3.0 Connections

How to Install Front USB
(connecting front ports to the motherboard)

Understanding System Memory and CPU speeds:
A layman's guide to the Front Side Bus (FSB)

Hooking up a Neon Light
[Old Article on making a card neon from Walmart work in a PC]

Tuesday, October 30, 2012

A few quick links related to IP checking

Every now and then a Subnet calculator is handy, especially if you are managing IP Block lists.  Here are a few useful links and projects I have found to be helpful.

1) PHP Subnet Calculator @ Sourceforge. A simple open source subnet calculator written in PHP. The author has a example site that is great if you need to do a simple calc from slash notation.

2) Lexdos. A simple site that shows an arbitrary IP address vs a Google Map.

3) Pear Package: Net_GeoIP.  This handy little package will give you the ability to turn an IP address into a city / country / region and give you a rough guess on LAT/LONG.  It does depend on a source data file put out by MaxMind but the basic version ( GeoCity Lite ) is free. The pear package + GeoCity Lite is enough to at least tell if an incoming request is from a different country -- potentially very useful for fraud detection.

2 comments:

  1. I read your post on subnet calculator. Your post is very important to the students for understanding the concept of subnet calculator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi...its really impressive artcle.thanks you for posting!
    soda pdf 7 crack

    ReplyDelete