Introduction

Hi All,

You've found the blog of Leighly G Penrod (better known as Lee Penrod). Over the years I've helped thousands of people with technology questions. I started this blog to share some of the problems I've personally solved, and to act as a place to put bits of new articles before they are ready for release.

In the past I wrote serveral things published by Directron.com. I worked for them for several years including doing various bits of technical writing. Although I no longer work for them, I do still put up some content on my blog now and then.

If you are not familiar with my prior work, feel free to see these popular guides I have written-

How to Install Front USB 3.0 Connections

How to Install Front USB
(connecting front ports to the motherboard)

Understanding System Memory and CPU speeds:
A layman's guide to the Front Side Bus (FSB)

Hooking up a Neon Light
[Old Article on making a card neon from Walmart work in a PC]

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

McAfee mess up

Today, McAfee released a virus update to their "Total Protection" package that targeted a vital windows component in Windows XP / 2000. Engadget and HardOCP as well as others covered it.

Engadget Coverage

This is not the first time I've seen this happen with McAfee and it's one reason I stopped recommending McAfee to customers at work. Right now at Directron we're not even listing McAfee for this and other reasons. Their corporate products are OK, but they and Symantec have had more bad press in the last 4 years than other rival packages like Kaspersky or Sophos.

The truth is that if you are a home user, there really isn't a great reason to buy anti virus software right now. Microsoft's Security Essentials package does a more than adequate job for most home users, and beats the free versions of both AVG and Avast in my experiance from doing virus troubleshooting regularly. Commercial AVG still has some merit if you've had some bad run ins with spyware in the past, and Kaspersky is decent if you have some of the odder infections but Security Essentials is a great place to start.

(Note: Security Essentials is basically the anti-virus/anti-malware package formerly known as Microsoft OneCare. It's free for home use and I believe also in some instances for small business. For businesses Microsoft offers ForeFront which also has domain snappings and exchange support.)

- end rant

No comments:

Post a Comment